Welcome friends!

Please enjoy your visit to my blog. Grab a cup of your favorite hot drink and browse some of my old and new artist bears and soft sculptures. You can find more on the official website:

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Up to new things....

It's been so long since I've posted anything here and I apologize. The wedding season was in full force ( I'm a photographer) and it was very difficult to put the hours into bear making and needle felting that I had hoped for.  So I took a little break during the summer and fall and now that the winter is here, I am so happy to enjoy cozy times at home creating my bears and friends.  I have been making many custom dogs, especially for the holidays.  I have needle felted some larger bears that I was really happy with.  I decided to try layering different wools to create a really rustic and distressed looking effect.  The first of these was " Lea" and she has gone to a beautiful home that is filled with two of my favorite things: Bergamascos and Bears.  She will be happy there, playing with all her new friends. Here is Lea:
 I have just finished orders from September for Bergamascos. I am so sorry they took so long. The reason why they do is because each flock is needle felted and they have layers upon layers of flocks to create the full coated look.  Here are some from this season. This first one is of Potus.  Potus was known to the Bergamasco community for all of his life.  In our group, we have watched him grow and knew his stories. It was very tough to hear of his passing and the passing of our older Bergamascos this year.  I was able to make Potus completely out of his own hair and I really think it looks just like him. I am always honored to hold and work with the hair of our beloved friends. I am fully aware that I am holding that last little part of them and all my love goes into these pieces. Thank you all for trusting me with the last few little flocks you have.




 The next few Bergamascos are made from wool and are replicas of their living versions :)


I was honored to be commissioned to make the "Trophies" for the AKC Bergamasco Sheepdog Club of America specialty. I made these out of wool and in a larger size.  Also, thanks to the Spanish Water Dog Club for asking me to make their trophy as well.

In his own hair, I made Rancho, from the Kennel Casa De Rancho Spanish Water Dogs.

Troy, my traditional needle felted bear has gone to live with his new owner, Laura Grandmont in Canada.

Another larger needle felted creation is Elsie.  She has gone to her forever home with Jessica Meade in Mass. Where I know she is sleeping with her new family every night.



I have also been making artist bears. What is an artist bear? If you have created your own pattern, made your own unique bear of which there is none identical in the world, handmade your creation with love, it's an artist bear.  These bears ( and elephants) have all been hand sewn. ( Machine sewing is awesome too, but I prefer to hand sew although I would do both). I use either plain German glass eyes or vintage shoe buttons for eyes, depending on the bear.  I use mohair or any other material such as faux fur, viscose, alpaca etc... I try to mix it up with paw pads and although suede is more traditional, I kind of like the paws in mohair also.  These creations have joints.  Their heads, arms and legs and move and be repositioned.  I use either nuts and bolts or cotter pins for this.  Some bears are old and distressed looking, some look more traditional and some look spankin' new.  It's hard for me to stick to only one look, as I like them all and enjoy the variety.  Sometimes the noses are fully embroidered, sometimes they are only partially done to give an older look and feel.  Sometimes I stain the mohair with natural dyes to age it, sometimes I don't. I just don't know what I'm going to do until the moment happens.  Here are some photos of my recent artist Fleecies:



Just recently, Fleecy Feetsies did a Facebook giveaway.  I made this little mouse.  He is sort of an elf or a wizard. Whatever he is, he is here to spread holiday cheer and that's what I wanted to do for one of my Fleecy fans.  The winner of this giveaway was Ginny Apple and I hope that this little mouse will make her smile.

I really love mice.  I have made some other needle felted ones this season and will make more.  I will also be having another giveaway very soon, before Christmas.  Here is another little mouse boy who has his own little teddy mouse.  He has gone to China. A long life of adventures for him.


No comments:

Post a Comment